Friday, November 6, 2009

Yeah you, you got what I need!

2009 has been quite a year. And in two weeks I am going to be driving out to the west coast again and will see great people.

This fall: My friend Matt is flying out to Rhode Island and we are driving out on the 21st of November. I am going to have Thanksgiving in Paul, Idaho with extended family. I am then going to spend the next 2 1/2 weeks finishing up my online class. This takes me to Christmas, I have no idea where I will be going. I am actually tired of the vagrant gypsy life and hope to have an address that is my own to put on applications sometime soon. It has been a challenge since 13 to battle the feeling of this poem:

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky.
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sails shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife,
And all I ask is a merry yarn from laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over. --John Mansfield

(Note: This poem come from the Dangerous Book for Boys book and I read my boys these poems, war stories, and other extraordinary stories almost every night--depending on their behavior.)

This winter: I also do not know where I will be this winter. I only have two options though. I will either be in DC in January or in the west for a few months tills coming back to Maine for the final 3 months of the school year. Then I have to find somewhere to go for the summer again till graduate school in the fall.

The challenge: Ihave to battle the spirit of adventure and lack of responsibility I feel as a single man. But primarily, I think similar to everyone it is difficult to plan too far into the future because I have no idea what the Lord will put in my path. It is not necessary that I know everything that will come, I will move forward with faith though. Coming out to Maine has been perfect. I have returned to happiness and found new direction in life.

Finally: I know that I have been compelled to give things up that are dear to me. I feel I have learned many lessons right now. And I also hope that while I am learning these lessons I am becoming better myself. I will be happy no matter what happens. My happiness is obedience to the commandments and faith, which is "a moveable feast." This I have always known.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Beautiful post, Oliver. You're returning to Maine in the spring?